Translate

Saturday 17 March 2018

"Are You Carrying A Heavy Load"




Often, when we hear Jesus talking about his death, we only think of His physical death on the cross. This is something that has to take place to all living organisms our physical death.   But there is another death that is optional but is also necessary in order to live a full life in Him.  Can anyone suggest what that death might be? 

March 18 2018 readings: Jeremiah 31:31-34  John 12:20-33
As I said when we hear Jesus talking about his death, we only think of His physical death on the cross. This is something that has to take place to all living organisms our physical death.   But there is another death that is optional but is also necessary in order to live a full life in Him.  Can anyone suggest what that death might be?  It is the death that produces real fruit in our lives and allows us to live fully in Him.  I challenge you to think about death while looking through this different lens.  Someone was noted for saying that you can only comprehend things according to the lens you are looking through at that moment.  Dr. David Banks a well-known motivational speaker was asked to speaker at a women’s convention in the 60s with over 3000 women in attendance.  “Dr. Banks” one women asked “you must be a bit nervous this evening”.   “Why no why would you say that” Banks asked?   “Well sir why are standing here in the Ladies restroom.”    
When looking through a self-protective lens, surrender you see is not an option.   Just the mention of death to some are dreaded words, let alone death to the self.  Yet Jesus proclaims, unless I die, I will not produce fruit.   What he was really saying was, unless I die to my own understanding, my own will, my own way, I will not be able to live within my Fathers will.   Jesus' profound understanding of this radical lens of selflessness and radical servanthood is a hard pill to swallow in this age of consumerism where the focus is intently upon "my" sensual appetite and its fulfillment. 
When Jesus talks about giving it all or dying to self we squirm. We are fully aware of accidental death, death in war, death through abortion, or as some governments have chosen to give us the personally right to choose death over life.  We can rationalize death in so many other contexts yet, this call to die to self, is the only kind of dying we do not fully comprehend or understand, in fact it is what we shy away from more than physical death.   
We have become so accustomed, hardened even desensitized to the physical death of others because it is all around us daily, in the news and on our TV’s.  Yet we never really associate death with our appetites for personal fulfillment of want and need. But somehow folks, we must face that death to actually begin to live as Jesus would have us live.   
I have to admit that depriving myself of chocolate during lent just doesn’t cut it folks.   
Jesus wants more of me than just chocolate.  In fact Jesus wants my all in all.   I don’t know about you but I continue to struggle with that, a complete surrender I mean.  I guess being aware and facing this fact daily helps to keep trying,  but as Paul says in Romans 7: 18-20   I know that good does not live in me—that is, in my human nature. For even though the desire to do good is in me, I am not able to do it.   I don't do the good I want to do; instead, I do the evil that I do not want to do.  If I do what I don't want to do, this means that I am no longer the one who does it; instead, it is the sin that lives in me.
May I suggest that a misunderstanding between the burdens we carry and the cross we are asked to bear may help you as it did for me?  While sitting at the bedside of a parishioner who was about to die of cancer I envisioned the shadow of the cross was upon him.  This led me to enter more deeply into the meaning of the cross in my own life.  Occasionally I hear people talk about the burdens they put up with on a daily basis.  Often this talk is accompanied by significant complaining and even the gnashing of teeth.   I have to admit that I find it hard to "see"  a Cross in such conversations.   As I discerned my feelings I begun to realize that maybe we need to make a distinctions between a burdens and cross bearing.  The question that comes to mind is, are they the same?  Burdens and cross bearing.
Things that happen in our lives that are difficult, hard to understand or to comprehend are burdens that we carry.  They can overwhelm us and we can just collapse under their weight.  They are just that - burdens.  Burdens are awful.  When I hear the word "burdens," I feel the weight and the tiredness and the weakness that the word implies.   It depresses me even further as it seems to rob me of any hope of recovery.   Now here is where our definitions and understandings can get off track.   I can begin to think that the burdens themselves are crosses that are thrust upon me to bear something to resist.  Here is where we need to understand that the meaning of “bearing your cross” is not something that is thrust upon you.   A burden only becomes a "cross" when I choose to accept it, to carry it, but with much prayer, and the awareness of what I am, who's I am, what I am doing and for whom I am doing it.   Otherwise I am not carrying a cross, I am just shouldering or staggering under a burden.  And if left as a burden its hopelessness will eventually crush me.  Hope is the nugget, found in its transformation, no longer a burden but the cross I bear.  
Once a burden is transformed into a cross and I willingly choose to embrace it, then something happens and transformation occurs.  I am given the strength to bear it.   Jesus who shows me how to bear a cross gives me hope, that my suffering will not be in vain, will not, despite appearances, be wasted.  I carry my cross with dignity even if I sometimes stumble, as did Christ, beneath its weight.  My eyes become fixed on the Author and Finisher of all things instead of on my limited lens of sight.   My eyes strain beyond the crucifixion and the death, past the darkness and silence of the tomb, into the dawn of an Easter morning.  Jesus Saves.    Journey well my friends, and the congregations sang   Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment